I was In costa coffees a few days ago ordering my usual Latte In an attempt to keep myself awake with a caffeine fueled high when I looked over at the mouthwatering food selection (The giant bourbon gets me every time) And noticed 'Ginger Bread Muffins' I was intrigued and immediately set out to make my own well obviously after I had sampled one of theirs... I swear it was all In the name of research.
Their quite heavy and can be a little drying on their own but accompanied by a hot drink and they go down extremely well, a perfect little spiced treat for getting through these cold winter days.
Muffins - Makes 12
- 2 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp Cinniman
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Butter (Room Temp)
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Apple Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Black Treacle
- 1 Egg
- 3/4 Cup Milk
Cream Cheese Frosting - Optional
- 1 1/2 Cups Full Fat Cream Cheese
- 3 Tsp Caster Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Butter
|The perfect accompaniment to a piping hot Coffee or Hot Chocolate|
Ready? Lets Cook
- Preheat your oven to 175°
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl (Flour, Ginger, Cinnamon, Baking Powder, Salt, Brown Sugar) Mix together
- In a separate large bowl add the butter, maple syrup, Apple Sauce, Black Treacle and the egg. Mix with either a stand mixer or with a hand mixer (This can be tough as its very thick!)
- Gradually incorporate In the dry mix and the milk untill its all combined
- Scoop Into muffin cups
- Bake for 20 - 25 Minutes
- Allow to cool
- As the muffins can be quite dense on their own I added some frosting to balance out the flavors this is completely optional but I just think It worked well with it.
- Add the Butter to a bowl and the Caster sugar and Cream cheese - Mix well
- Scoop Into a piping bag and top the muffins.