I think its safe to say with the amount of Halloween related content I've been posting or with the copious amount of Halloween related tweets I've been sending I'm just a little bit excited about Halloween! Regardless of whether or not I actually end up doing anything on Halloween I always make an effort by baking something spooky or watching scary films.. sometimes I even dress up, just because.. Yes that's a sad thing to admit.. there's nothing more depressing then dressing up and having no where to go (We've all been there)
But here is a really quick and easy recipe to bake if your not doing anything but fancy getting into the spirit of it or your hosting a party, but be warned, they are so addictive!
What You Need - Makes 20
Makes perfectly formed cookies no messy edges, also It doesn't need to be chilled.
- Cookies Cutter (Whatever shape you want)
- 113g Butter
- 110g White Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 192g Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Small Egg
- 250g Icing Powder
- 2 Tsp Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
|These lasted for Approx 5 minutes after this photo.. they where quickly gobbled by myself.. I regret nothing!|
Ready? Lets Cook
- Preheat your Oven to 180°c / Gas Mark 4
- In a large bowl mix together the Butter and Sugar (You can do this by hand or with a mixer)
- Beat in the extract and the egg
- In a separate bowl combine the baking powder and the flour add this in gradually to the wet ingredients continually mixing - The dough will be very stiff
- Roll out onto a lightly floured work surface, roll out to roughly 1/4 inch thick - Cut out the shapes
- Bake for 6 - 8 Minutes
- For the icing - Combine the icing powder, Vanilla extract and Milk, add the milk in slowly. You want the mixture to be thick enough to stay on the top of the cookie but not too thick that it wont spread slightly
- Once the cookies are cooled enough smooth the icing over the top, I did this with a small palate knife, then cleaned up the edges. I also dotted some ready made black icing for the eyes.
- P.s take your time! As you can see I rushed mine and they now have wonky eyes...